Background Burner In Your Images.


Background Burner In Your Images.



Welcome back to the Photoshop lesson channel. I'm Jesus Ramirez, and in this video, I'll show you how to make better cuts in Photoshop by using channel based selections and masks. If you wish to follow along with this lesson, look for a link to my website in the description to download the file.


Images like this one, where the fur is set against a busy backdrop, may be tough to choose, so I'm going to teach you how to utilize the channels panel to help you select those hard-to-select regions, so let's get started. So here is the picture I'm going to work with, and as you can see, it's a gorgeous puppy. But first, I'm going to teach you how to utilize the channels panel to better choose those tough to select objects.


If I make a selection, the size of the selection doesn't matter, so I'll just make a rectangular marquee selection. If I go into select save selection to save the selection, I can give it a name, I'll just call it selection, the name isn't important for this example, and Photoshop will save it where it is.


Is the selection saved in Photoshop? It certainly does. It keeps track of it in the channels panel, which you can see below. I'll also note that the background mask is there if I use the lasso tool to draw a random selection here, then build a layer mask by selecting the layer mask icon, then go to the channels panel. So, what does it all imply? Selects and masks are effectively the same thing, according to this definition.


What precisely is a channel in terms of television? Red, green, and blue are the three rgb channels. You may use these channels to create the images you see on the screen. The red channel is in charge of controlling the red light. The green channel controls the green light and the blue channel controls the blue light when you see bright spots in the channel you're viewing.


On implies there's a lot of light in that channel's color, and dark parts suggest there's less light in that channel's color, and you'll see the opposite color, such as cyan for red, magenta for green, and yellow for blue. Even though it isn't relevant to the instruction, I wanted to share it with you. The purpose is that the opposing color of red, green, and blue may be seen.


Create a selection or a mask using these channels, which you can see in the channels panel, including the red channel, the green channel, and the blue channel. To prevent any confusion, I'm going to remove the selection channel we generated previously and replace it with one of these rgb channels.


I'm only concerned with the fur's boundaries, so I'm trying to figure out where the fur seems brightest and the background appears darkest, and I feel the red channel does a better job of providing the contrast I'm looking for.


Before we go any further, I'd like to remind out that if you're looking at the color of the channel, such as red on the red channel, you should turn it off. To do so, open the preferences panel by pressing ctrl k on Windows or command k on Mac, and make sure that display channels in color is deactivated under the interface tab.


The channel is now red since I have it enabled, so make sure you turn it off and you should be able to see what I'm looking at now. You can repeat the channel with the largest contrast between the foreground and background, or at the very least the channel with the most contrast between the foreground and background margins.


You don't want to work in the original channel since it will ruin the image's colors, which you don't want to happen, so always duplicate the channel you're working on. I can start making tweaks after I've picked my red copy, and my goal was to keep the dog as bright as possible.


I normally start with the dodge or burn tools, darkening with the burn tool and brightening with the dodge tool to get the backdrop as black as possible. In this scenario, I'll use the burn tool from the options bar to specify the range of pixels I wish to effect, allowing me to deepen the shadows while leaving the highlights alone.


I'll reduce the exposure since it's a bit too high. That way, when I pin around the edges, the background darkens but the fur at the front doesn't, and I can keep painting over the image like this. Take your time with your projects; I'm going a little quickly here to save you time, but as you can see, I'm still achieving amazing outcomes.


That I'm having a problem with the first being black but the backdrop being white, which isn't too tough to correct. All I have to do now is pick this section and press ctrl I (or windows command I on a Mac) to invert it so that the fur inside is white and the backdrop is black, and I can continue using the same approach I used on the top half of this dog.


And I'll just keep painting the edges here like so notice that I'm not being very precise, I'm being very loose, and that's okay because you don't need perfect selections to create good layer masks so as long as you have defined edges and defined fur you should be fine so you don't have to get every single strand and you don't have to get every single strand and you don't have to get every single strand and you don't have to get every single strand and


It's fine to ignore things that are too difficult to select, but now that the outer edges are black, I can use the lasso tool to make a very loose selection around the image, like so I'm just going through the outside here, and then I can fill this with black because black is my foreground color, so I can press alt to fill this with black.


Backspace on a computer, I can do the opposite, select the dodge tool, make sure that it is selected, and then I can do the opposite, select the dodge tool, make sure that it is selected, and then I can do the opposite, select the dodge tool, make sure that it is selected, and then I can do the opposite, select the dodge tool, make sure that it is selected, and then I can do the opposite, select the dodge tool, make sure that it is selected, and then I can do the opposite, select the dodge tool, make sure


Highlights were used to achieve exposure. I'll also reduce it and only paint on the borders to attempt to lighten them up so that everything within the dog is seen. You can always go into picture adjustment settings and fine-tune the adjustment this way to see which adjustment or tool offers you the best brightening impact.


Your visual portrayal is excellent. To be honest, it doesn't matter whatever method you choose as long as the pixels are brilliant and black enough. After that, take the lasso tool again and form a rough selection around the dog like this, then fill with white ctrl backspace on windows to fill with the current background color, which is white.


I'll deselect and make sure the foreground color is white by pressing ctrl d on Windows or command d on Mac, then swap the foreground and background colors and paint on the margins. You may want to be a little more careful around the ear, so I'll zoom in for a moment to work on that.


But first, I want to get these edges, and we have a really sharp edge here that might not work, so I'll just push up a little bit to soften that edge, and then I'll zoom in to the ear and paint, and as you can see, I'm tapping on the left bracket key on the keyboard to reduce my brush size, and I'm just keeping my hand on those bracket keys so that I can adjust the brush size as I paint.


Again, notice how loose I'm being with my layer mask until I put it up against the background; I don't like to be too precise with my layer mask until I put it up against the background because the background will often hide some of your mask's imperfections, so it doesn't make sense to me to spend a lot of time fine tuning it if it won't make a difference in the end.


Difference on the background that you're going to put it on so everything looks good to me right now so I'll hold control on Windows and Command on the Mac and click on the channels panels red copy thumbnail here it is that loads it as a selection then I can go into the layers panel and create a layer mask and notice that the background is now transparent.


Gone, let me make a solid color fill layer in the new adjustment layer icon. To observe the outcome, I'll just make it dark gray and move it to the bottom. As you can see, the mask is rather attractive. All we have to do now is fine tune the edges with a few slight modifications to obtain better results.


Because the original background's green can be seen above the dog and other locations, I prefer to make a new layer, a blank layer, and clip it to the layer below using a clipping mask, so we don't have to worry about masks and can paint freely without worrying about straying over the boundaries.


So, using this layer, you can pick the brush tool by pressing ctrl alt g on Windows or command option g on the Mac, and then temporarily enable the eyedropper tool by holding alt on Windows or command option g on the Mac while the brush tool is active, and then click to sample the color and paint. You'll notice that I only paint solid colors when I paint.


Change the blending mode to color to keep the original brightness but only hide the green edges and just keep sampling from different areas like so and just try to remove those green edges that way the image looks much better and just keep sampling from the areas that you're painting on I know i'm being a little loose here but


As I previously stated, improve your image notice that we have a problem here on this area and that's actually quite easy to fix what you can do is select the lasso tool and simply make a selection like so i'm going to press ctrl shift c to copy all so basically everything that's below that layer not just the layer that I'm currently on and then press ctrl shift c to copy all so basically everything that's below that layer not just the layer that I


Ctrl v to paste, and I'm going to make this into a clipping mask with ctrl alt g on Windows and command option g on the Mac, and then I'm going to drag that over and press ctrl t command t to transform and rotate it so that the fur follows the fur below, and then I'm going to hold alt on Windows and command option g on the Mac and click on the layer mask icon to turn it into a black layer


I can just selectively paint these areas back in with the brush tool and white as the foreground color, so it looks like the fur is extending all the way to the edge, so this is the before and after, and now I'll select the zoom tool and zoom in so you can see the edges they look really really good, and if I were to throw in a background with more detail, it would look even better.


Detail Maybe with trees and other distracting elements those edges will look even better so keep that in mind in some cases you might get these pieces of fur that don't look that good I might consider removing those it totally depends and another way to fix the edges on the fur is to create a custom brush and paint in the fur by hand if you want to learn how to do that and if you want to learn how to do that and if you want to learn how to do that and if you want to learn how to do that and

Take a peek at the video below. Thank you for taking the time to look at this, and I'll talk to you soon.

Comments